Berry & Oak making a difference
At Berry & Oak, we’re long standing supporters of good causes. During 2018 we will be supporting St Gemma’s Hospice as our chosen charity of the year.
St Gemma’s Hospice is a Leeds-based charity, providing expert care and support for local people with life-limiting illnesses. Their vision is that the needs of people living with a terminal illness, and those close to them, are met with care, compassion and skill. Every year they need to raise over £6m to be able to continue to run the services that they provide.
We plan to get involved as a team to raise money through fundraising, events and volunteering to help support the amazing work that St Gemma’s Hospice does. You can find out more about them here.
Please visit our just giving page to keep updated with further details and how to donate: –
Berry & Oak in the community
- Andrew has been a volunteer Scout Leader at the 1st Tadcaster Scout Group since 2011. He helps develop and deliver a range of activities that help the scouts learn, grow and develop in a safe environment, whilst having fun. This includes helping them to think for themselves, and be more self-sufficient and confident in their own abilities. Some of the children, Andrew has helped since they were Beavers and it’s very rewarding to see them growing up and developing new skills and good values.
- Andrew is also a member of the Wetherby district executive committee for scouts, which helps oversee and support the governance of the groups in the Wetherby district.
- Andrew has written a weekly article in the Yorkshire Evening Post (on a thursday), for over 10 years, where he shares financial planning tips and shares his knowledge, to help educate the consumer on financial planning matters.
- Sarah Elson is the team manager on a voluntary basis for the City of Leeds Basketball Club U14 Boys Gold Team. This involves Sarah using her organisation skills to confirm the games and venues each week, for both the Leeds team and the opposing team, running the kit rota and updating the match results with Basketball England. She also has to make sure all the Leeds players arrive at the right place, at the right time for the matches each week.
Berry & Oak Sponsorship
We also support a number of local events and groups, such as:
- The City of Leeds Basketball Club where we helped to fund the new kit for the Under 14 Boys gold team.
- The Towton Christmas Lights which provides a magical display each year, for such a small village. People come from far and wide to see them.
Berry & Oak supporting the Financial Services Profession
- Andrew works with the CISI (Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment) Accredited financial planning firm forum, to promote best practice across the CISI financial planning community. He helps promote the value of financial planning to the wider public and helps financial planners and their firms grow.
- On a more local level, Andrew works with the CISI Yorkshire committee to put on continuous professional development (CPD) events for local members, to improve their learning, knowledge and skills, to help them run better businesses and deliver great client outcomes.
- Sarah Elson also helps support the work of the CISI and is on the financial planning editorial panel of the CISI review magazine. This is a quarterly magazine that goes out to all of the members of CISI (financial planners, investment managers and other roles) across the UK with news, insights and analysis about current topics in the profession.