Dan is a Trainee Financial Planner at Berry & Oak. Being new to the business he is currently working with the whole team learning the Berry & Oak way of doing things. In addition, he is working with Andrew and his clients before eventually being certified as a competent adviser in his own right and taking on clients of his own.
Having previously spent two years as a Client Manager at a medium-sized wealth management firm, Dan has a good range of experience working with clients. He is a Chartered Member of the CISI, holds the CISI Level 7 Diploma in Advanced Financial Planning, is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional, has completed the qualification criteria for Chartered Financial Planner status, and is working toward the experience requirement currently.
Outside of work Dan is a keen squash player and rugby fan, and gets out into the hills as often as possible.
What do you like about working at Berry & Oak?
- My colleagues and the sense of teamwork, everyone is willing to muck in to ensure we get the best outcomes for our clients first and foremost.
What does the day in the life of a Trainee Financial Planner look like?
- A cliché, but every day is different. I may be helping administration team prepare a client file for a client meeting, before then sitting in the meeting with Andrew and taking notes. Following the meeting I’d then work to ensure that all agreed actions were followed up. I also work with the paraplanning team on the Truth financial planning software which we use to ensure this is up to date, enabling our clients to visualise their assets and liabilities, income and expenditure across their whole lifetime and be confident that their financial plan will enable them to achieve their lifetime objectives.
What are your top three life highlights so far?
- Trip to California in 2018 including a friend’s wedding and the Joshua Tree National Park.
- Commissioning from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2014.
- Trip to Honduras in 2008 on Operation Wallacea doing conservation research.
What is an ability you wish you had?
- To apparate like in Harry Potter, less time wasted travelling, and it’d be easier to see friends and family in faraway places.
What’s currently top of your bucket list?
- To walk/run a long-distance trail through some mountains – where exactly is as yet undecided.
Which song gets you on the dancefloor?
- The Killers – Mr Brightside
What’s the one talent you have, that people would be surprised to know about you?
- I have passed grade 5 on the violin.